Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Welcome to Wellington

I'm in Wellington. It's windy. The moniker "Windy Wellington" is well-deserved.

Based on the description in the tour book, I spent my first three days in Wellington in a charming hostel a half-hour's train ride outside of the main city, and a 1km walk from the train station. On the plus side, it was large, had a well-stocked library, and contained friendly people. Unfortunately, I was a half-hour train ride from the city, a 15-minute walk to the train station, and it was cold and windy.

It seems that the first three days that I experience in any new city city will be filled with discomfort, which is entirely understandable given the circumstances. It's also a very important self-discovery, as it brings with it the promise that Things Will Get Better.

So what did I actually do during my first three days in Wellington? Not much, actually. Which I think is the general mindset of the hostel. I spent time in the city exploring and hunting for Internet access, which I eventually found. I spent quite a bit of time either on the train, or waiting for it. I read Neverwhere, by Neal Gaimen, which happened to be on the hostel's bookshelf. And I talked with other hostel patrons, like one is supposed to do. In short, I spent a lot of time working very hard to do very little. And that is what I spent my first three days in Wellington doing.

No comments: